The Coles County SWCD sponsors an annual poster contest which provides students from kindergarten through 12th grade the chance to have their art displayed as part of a national conservation outreach initiative. Each year, the winning posters reflect NACD’s annual Stewardship theme and highlight the work of conservation districts and their state conservation associations, auxiliaries and agencies to protect and enhance natural resources.
The 2021 Poster Contest and Stewardship Week theme is “Healthy Forests = Healthy Communities.” The 2021 Stewardship Week will take place April 25 – May 2, 2021. More info about this year’s Stewardship Week and theme can be found at https://www.nacdnet.org/conservation-education-hub/
The poster contest is open to kindergarten through twelfth grade public, private and home-schooled students. The contest starts at the district level (May); local winners advance to the state level (July), and state winners advance to the national level (February), where they receive recognition at NACD’s annual meeting as well as monetary prizes!
- Posters must be between standard computer-paper size (8.5″x11″) and standard poster board size (24″x36″).
- Any media may be used, including paint, crayon, colored pencil, charcoal, paper, or other materials, but the finished product must be 2-dimensional.
- All posters must be created by an individual student, rather than a team of students. One entry per student. Entry must be contestant’s original creation and may not be traced from photographs or other artists’ published works.
- Although younger students will most likely receive help in planning from parents or teachers, NACD encourages each student to do their own work. Note: Entries with student handwriting and coloring will score better than those designed, drawn, and colored by adult assistance
- The year’s theme must be included on the front side of each poster and a completed entry form must be attached to the back of each poster to be eligible.
Posters will be evaluated based on the following criteria: Conservation message (ie: poster uses correct theme), visual effectiveness, originality, and universal appeal.
Please deliver (or mail) posters to the Coles County SWCD office, 6021 Development Drive, Charleston, IL 61920. Entries must be received by May 5th, 2021 to be considered for this year’s contest. Please call 217-345-3901 ext. 3 or email email@example.com for more information.
2020: “Where Would We BEE Without Pollinators?”
2019: “Life in the Soil: Dig Deeper”
2018: “Watersheds: Our Water, Our Home”
2017: “Healthy Soils Are Full of Life!”